So I’ve been nominated for THREE Liebster awards within 24 hours and I’m quite excited. After six years of just getting the sad consolation ribbon at elementary school “track and field days,” I love winning things.
For those of you who aren’t familiar,
The Liebster Award is given to bloggers by other bloggers. It is a great way to connect with new bloggers, and to welcome them to the blogosphere. Here are the rules:
1. Link back to the blogger who nominated you.
2. Answer the 11 questions given to you by the blogger who nominated you.
3. Nominate 11 other bloggers with less than 200 followers.
4. Go to the blogs you nominated and notify them of your nomination.
5. Give your nominees 11 questions to answer.
First, I’d like to thank the three lovelies who nominated me, Southern Ervin Living, Not Now, Breezy and Simply Sam. Not Now, Breezy is full of sass and excellent usage of memes, and Simply Sam nails it with the book reviews. Southern Ervin Living has everything from fashion to product reviews. Check them out!
So since I’ve won three…triple everything! It’s time for a little self-reflection.
1. Why did you start blogging?
I started blogging because I realized I had a lot of thoughts, a lot of too-long-for-a-sassy-Facebook-status thoughts. I’m an observant person and I like thinking about the world in different ways, and I wanted a place to share my musings as well as a place to connect with people. I’ve always loved writing, and I was in love with the idea of sharing my writing with others. I was also inspired by Becky Rosty’s blog. She’s so eloquent and writes about important things and I wanted to do that, too.
2. Which animal do you relate to most and why?
Probably a dog. I’m loyal, enthusiastic, and I would have no problem spending my days eating, sleeping, and spending time outdoors. But if we’re being honest, I’d probably be one of those purse dogs. I’m kind of a diva.
3. What is one thing that you would like to wipe off the face of this earth?
Call this a “Miss America” answer, but I’d honestly have to say racism. It it just baffling to me that it even still exists.
4. What one thing do you want to improve about yourself?
I want to obtain better balance in my life. I feel right now like I can choose any combination of sleeping well, eating well, working out, finishing schoolwork, and having an actual social life, but I haven’t been able to figure out to balance it all. I know it’s possible, and that’s something I’m working toward in the coming year.
5. What goal do you want to attain within the next 5 years?
In the next five years, I hope to obtain a job that I’m happy with and that allows me to do something meaningful. I know that seems cliche but I think it’s the stepping stone coming out of college for all of the things I want to do in life. Financial security is my first priority at this point.
6. If you were the president or ruler of your country, what would be the first law/commitment you make?
While I’m tempted to say “No Pants Mondays” or something like that, I think I’d make a “world religions” course mandatory in all high schools. Too many groups are divided based on religion, and they yet they don’t know much about the other religions out there. I think knowledge is power.
7. Favorite TV Show or Film.
My favorite TV show is definitely Parks and Rec. Every cast member is genuinely funny and brings something to the table, and I can relate so much to Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), it’s not even funny. In the first episode, she’s giving a dramatic speech to her employees and steps backward and falls into a huge ditch. At that point, I knew I was going to fall in love with Leslie and the show.
8. How do you feel being nominated?
I’m excited! I’m currently riding a high of having been “Freshly Pressed” by WordPress, and so this was icing on the cake. I’m honored to have received the award, especially three times in a day!
9. If you could live in any country, that is not your own, what country would it be?
I think I would live in the UK, specifically London. I visited over spring break last month and I fell in love with it. People are relatively friendly, the city is large and so diverse, and the architecture is beautiful. It’s so picturesque, and it’s a dynamic city. I’ve already tried to convince the boyfriend that this is an excellent place to live after graduation, but I don’t know if he’s quite convinced yet.
10. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
I used to always answer this question with “mind reading” but in hindsight, I don’t really want to know what people are thinking. There are a lot of weird, weird people in the world, and I think what happens in our minds is best left there. I don’t really need that much information. I think instead I’d like to be able to time travel, like in the movie About Time. I’d use it to relive amazing moments of my life, and to change things…sometimes.
11. What do you think is the most interesting thing about you?
I’m going to get a little deep here, but I think what makes you interesting depends on who you’re talking to. Here at Penn, being a Wyomingite is super interesting and gawk-worthy, but obviously back at home it’s nothing of note. I think one of the most interesting things about myself is that I am able to somehow straddle both being book-smart and street-dumb, sometimes to the extreme. I remember my mom laughing in disbelief one day when I was about ten, when I asked her, in a moment that can only be described as ditziness, “What is the difference between a hamburger and a cheeseburger?” She was so confused as to how I could be doing math levels above my own grade level but not be able to grasp obvious life facts.
Aaaaand, set two.
1. Why did you start blogging? See above.
2. Tell a funny/interesting story or joke. When I was little, my grandma lived with my family, and one day we were looking through old photos. We found an old photo of our house, and the bottom of the picture was missing. Offhandedly, my grandma said, “Look, the bottom of the house fell off!” Not noticing that the picture was damaged, I actually spent a full hour confused, believing that the bottom of our house fell off, and trying to figure out how it was that we still had a basement. Thankfully the issue was cleared up, after I finally asked grandma what happened to the rest of the house.
3. What is one good deed you’ve done this week?
There’s this adorable housekeeping lady that works in my apartment building, and usually no one gives her the time of day. I struck up a conversation with her to cheer her up.
4. What was the last good book you read?
I haven’t read fiction in quite a while, but this summer I read Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy by Martin Lindstrom, and it was amazing. As a marketing/business/psychology nerd, I found it so interesting. It’s crazy what marketing can induce us to do without us having the slightest idea.
5. What is the first quote that pops into your mind?
“With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.” – Max Ehrmann (From my post)
6. Where is your dream holiday destination, and what would you do there?
My dream holiday destination is currently Hawaii. I’ve never been, and I’ve always wanted to go. I would lay by the beach, drink fruity drinks, swim, and explore the islands.
7. Name your top 5 favourite singers/bands.
That is so difficult! I find that I fall in love with songs more often than I do whole bands/singers. I’ll give you my top five songs instead. 1. Lay Me Down (acoustic) by Sam Smith 2. Paris by Magic Man 3. Power Trip by J Cole 4. High Hopes by Kodaline 5. Amazed by Lonestar.
8. Who inspires you?
Both of my parents. They both have worked so hard for everything they’ve gained in life and they continue to always strive for self-improvement. They are both strong people who have weathered a lot and have been made better for it.
9. Would you rather be permanently a child, or permanently a 60 year old?
I think I’d rather be a child. I would say an elderly person but I don’t think 60 is old enough to be at the age where you can say whatever the heck you want and no one reprimands you for it.
10. When was the last time you washed your hands? (haha so random)
Like an hour ago? I know you were all curious.
11. What is your favourite thing (not necessarily a possession) in this world?
Call me a glutton, but I’d probably say food. It’s a way to understand cultures, to bring groups of people together, and cooking is somewhat therapeutic, in addition to giving you a sense of satisfaction. Food does it all.
Set three, bring it on.
1. What is your favorite Starbucks drink?
This is a horrible, horrible question. It’s like asking the Duggar mom which child she loves most. I am a devout Starbucksgoer, and so I’ve tried just about everything. Right now my favorites for spring are a caramel macchiato (with extra vanilla!) and a light caramel flan frappuccino.
2. Who is your favorite designer?
I could go all “Oh, obviously Blahnik” on you but that’s just not me. Honestly, I’ve never been much of the designer type. Maybe someday. I do like Elie Tahari’s stuff though. It’s classy but fun.
3. What inspired you to begin a blog?
4. What is your monogram?
I mean, I don’t have like a fancy image for mine or anything, but it’s TNY.
5. What item of jewelry do you wear most often?
Every single day, I wear a necklace that my boyfriend bought me for our one year/graduation. It has our names on the front and on the back the phrase “I’ll always be carrying your love with me.” It’s one of my favorite possessions. 🙂
6. What is your dream job?
Right now, I really want to work in marketing for either fashion or consumer goods. I can imagine working for somewhere big like Macy’s and helping them design their marketing strategy. The idea literally makes me drool. Omg.
7. What is your favorite part about Spring?
I love how the college campus comes alive with green grass and people frolicking across the green spaces and people sprawled out on the ground, reading books. It’s a happy time.
8. Do you have any furry friends?
I do! Not here at college, but at home I have two wonderful dogs, Blitz and Beau (short for Sir Winston Tobias Beauregard I) and a cat I hate to claim. Her name is Roka but we just call her kitty/other five letter words.
9. What is your favorite music genre?
Probably adult alternative, although I listen to literally everything.
Anything! I love cooking, and so it doesn’t really matter. But preferably something I’m excited to eat. 🙂
11. What is your favorite lipstick color?
I’m not much of a lipstick wearer, but I have a pinkish red I adore. It makes me feel super dramatic and edgy.
Questions for my beautiful nominees to answer:
- Why did you start blogging?
- What drives you?
- What is your favorite iPhone app?
- What is the one piece of clothing/accessory you cannot live without?
- What is a quote that inspires you?
- Name a song that has been stuck in your head recently.
- What do you think sets your writing apart from other bloggers?
- Name a goal you’d like to attain in the next year.
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
- What is your favorite Starbucks drink? (Not a fan? Tell us why)
- How would you describe yourself using only five words?
- The Overwhelmed Undergrad
- Comme Elle Grandit
- Real Life Twenty Something
- The New Girl
- From Booze to Blazers
- Confessions of a White Girl
- Reasons Why I’m Single
- alice in wonder
- Slightly Chic
- Beer, Love, and Ice Cream
- Life as Told by an Upcoming, 20-Something
- Twenty-Two Rules to Live By in Your Twenties
- Cat Lady in Training
- Bitty Tidbits
- Cup of Tee
- Amanda, In Love
- 22 and Counting
- Take a Stand
- Collegiate Cave Girl
- Molly Loves Makeup
- loose around the edges
- All The Lovely Things In Life
- procrastination and the city
- big dreams grand schemes
- food + world + me
I can’t wait to read all of your responses! ❤
And for you readers out there, I hope you enjoyed reading a little more about me. For those of you that got tired halfway through this long thing and had to take a nap, here’s the SparkNotes version: I drink Starbucks, I can be a little bit of a ditz, I think food is the greatest thing in the world.